Italian style mushroom polenta
PERFECTLY BALANCED MEAL
Authentic Italian-style polenta. Our Gourmet Mushrooms are produced in Moray and the Highlands of Scotland, all the other ingredients in the "ready-to-cook" plant-based meals are sourced from small scale farms, both Italian organic certified and UK family-owned.
Polenta, the Italian corn porridge!
It can either be eaten freshly cooked, like a thick porridge, or it can be cooled and then sliced and fried, grilled, or baked.
Oyster, Shitake and Porcini Mushrooms, Italian Polenta, seasoning.
Spices: black pepper, salt, garlic, onion, red hot chilli pepper, leek, celery, rosemary, oregano, basil, sage, marjoram, bay leaves, fennel seeds, parsley, thyme, coriander.
1. Add 2 spoons of olive oil in a large saucepan. Do not put on the heat on just yet.
2. Pour 300ml of water in the pan and then gently pour the polenta mix in the water, stirring using a whisk – if you like you can swap 100ml of water with 100ml of white wine.
3. Once the polenta mix is perfectly melted with the water you can put it on a low/medium heat.
4. Lower the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring with the whisk, until the polenta thickens and slow bubbles "erupt", after about 5 minutes.
5. Continue to stir for another 3 minutes, depending on the consistency you want your polenta.
6. Serve with chopped parsley sprinkled on the top.
You can also customize our meals for fancy appetizers and day after meal
Polenta is easy to reheat in the oven or fried, and you can do that in several ways.
Chilled polenta can be cut into squares–or any shape–and sautéed in butter for an excellent breakfast or side dish.
Polenta can be cooked (but not broiled) 1 day ahead and chilled (covered once cool).
Do it this way. Line a baking sheet with foil and brush with oil.
Unmold polenta, then cut into 16 (about 4- by 1-inch) sticks. Brush tops with oil and space evenly on a baking sheet. Broil about 4 inches from heat until golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
Or you can cut chilled polenta into small circles and crisp them in a skillet—they will be very much like little arepas—and then top them with something tasty, like avocado salsa, for example, to make a nice little appetizer.
If you spread the polenta into a thin layer in a pyrex dish while it is warm from the oven, it will be easier to cut into circles.
*Please make sure that you dispose of the packaging in a proper manner.
Our pouches are fully compostable.
Box and labels are paper recyclable.